During the first six months of this year, EM NARI has continued to grow its membership and offer the types of quality programs and experiences our members have come to expect. During the past six months we have seen:
- One of the most successful CotY Awards in recent history with 60 project entries and more than 200 attendees at the Evening of Excellence on March 4th at Clarke,
- Educational programs that included the Universal Design Certified Professional study group, the RRP Refresher course, and a seminar on residential lighting control,
- Informational membership dinners featuring our annual remodeling industry forecast, a panel discussion on universal design, and Professional Remodeling Magazine’s Leadership Tour.
- Great networking events at Designer Bath in Beverly, Sterritt Lumber in Watertown, and at the Agganis Arena at Boston University, and
- Scholarships awarded to two very deserving seniors – one of whom is the child of an EM NARI member and the other who will be pursuing a career remodeling industry.
In reflecting on these accomplishments, I’m proud that we have remained committed to providing the programs, education, and services that meet our mission of “advancing quality in the remodeling industry.”
As we continue at the leading edge of excellence in our industry, it is critical that we remain dedicated to supporting remodeling contractors. Remodelers are at the core of this organization and we must do all we can to ensure that they have the resources needed to flourish. When remodelers thrive, we all benefit.
With that, last month our Membership Committee proposed, and our Board of Directors approved, a change in the dues structure at EM NARI effective July 1. This new dues structure is tiered with a lower dues cost for remodeling contractors than for our other members including sub-contractors, vendors, trades, suppliers, manufacturers and professional services. Beginning July 1st, remodeling contractors’ dues will be lowered to $475 and all other members will pay $695. Several factors were taken into account in this decision:
- Remodelers spend more than other members to participate in our programs at NARI. They may pay entry fees to compete in the CotY Awards and they may pay to attend (and send employees) to study groups and many other educational programs. We need to lessen the financial burden on remodelers who fully participate in our programs.
- For sub-contractors, vendors, suppliers and others, the value of NARI can be readily boiled down to dollars and cents. There is, of course, significant benefit beyond the financial -- the relationships, the information, and the experiences are priceless. Nevertheless, as a sub-contractor, I can easily and directly quantify the financial impact that my membership investment in NARI has on my business each year. The value of NARI for remodeler members, while equal (and perhaps even greater), is more difficult to calculate. We know that the intangibles are what make the NARI experience so unique – but also so difficult to measure.
- Part of our mission is to support young remodelers who are starting off in business. The early years are a critical time for a young business, and having the support of a network of our more seasoned professionals can ensure that these companies embrace the business principles that are the hallmark of NARI members. We need to do more to ensure that membership dues do not present a barrier for remodelers.
Much thought and discussion went into this decision. Our organization values every member. We know though, that this move to adjust the dues structure sends the right message at the right time – that EM NARI is the place for remodelers to come, learn and grow. Should you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to me. I can be reached by phone at (508)962-1044 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Enjoy the summer. Mark your calendar for our September 9th Inspectors Panel and September 16th Golf Tournament and be sure to contact me if you are interested in getting involved at EM NARI.
Eastern Mass. Chapter, NARI, Inc.831 Beacon St. #186, Newton Centre, MA 02459PH 508.907.6249 | FAX 617.663.6566 | www.emnari.org